AISRI Dictionary Website Help
- Select English or "Indian" for language to search in.
- Type in a word, words or word-part(s) to search for.
- Select a dictionary (default is Skiri).
- Select a language to sort by.
- Click the Run_Search button.
Notes on character sets:
Searches are case-insensitive (e.g., WAK = wak); the only exceptions
is the special character N (nasalisation).
When searching for a word in the "Indian" language you do not need
to use accented characters (e.g. "atit" will match "átit", "a̒tit", "atit",
- ' (apostrophe) = ʾ (glottal stop)
- ch = č, c-wedge (ch in 'church')
- sh = š, s-wedge (sh in 'ship')
- zh = ž, z-wedge (zh, z sound in 'azure')
- gh = ǧ, g-wedge (= Spanish g in 'pagar')
- x = ȟ, h-wedge (= German ch in 'Bach')
- N = hook under vowel (nasalisation) (e.g., aN matches nasalised
ą, ą́, or ą̀; aaN and aNaN both match nasalized ąą, ąą́, or ąą̀
- h = ʿ (aspiration) (e.g., kh matches kʿ, chh matches čʿ)
This search form is designed with the ability to make use of perl
regular expressions. See the perl regular
expression man-page and other online perl documentation for details
on the regular expressions.
Basic uses of regular expressions:
- Search only for entries beginning with "ckiri": \^ckiri (\^ anchors
search to beginning of word)
- Search only for entries ending with "ckiri": ckiri\$ (\$ anchors
search to end of word)
- Search only for the full word "ckiri": \^ckiri\$
- Search for words starting like ckiri, but with any single/short
vowel in the middle: \^ck[aiu]ri ( [ ] encloses a range of possible
characters to match)
- Search for words containing something like ckiri, but with any
letter in the middle: ck.ri (. (period) matches any single
- Search for ckri, ckiri or ckiiri: cki*ri
(* matches the preceding character 0 or more times)